This model is inspired by the classic the Gibson A5 with both hand carved Spruce top and Maple back and sides. The one pictured was a prototype built without a raised fingerboard extension, droplet f holes and voiced to give a deeper bass and less choppy midrange for a sweeter solo/small group mandolin. It has wonderful clarity and sustain in the top end and a broader tonal range than most f holes. It can be voiced also for a choppy/cutting session tone.
Please note that different tone wood combinations will affect the response and tonal characterisics of the instrument within the framework of my build style. I will of course always advise in this area.
Some of the more standard specs. For all options and prices see price list
- Scale 355mm
- Top Hand Carved European or Sitka Spruce
- Back & Sides Flamed US Maple or UK Sycamore
- Neck Carbon fibre reinforced Maple/Sycamore. No Truss rod.
- Bindings Ebony, Indian Rosewood, Flamed Maple
- Rosette Bound soundhole
- Bridge Ebony
- Fingerboard Bound Ebony 30mm nut
- Head Veneer Rosewood or ebony with mother of pearl logo inlay
- Nut and saddle Bone
- Machine Heads Gotoh black button
- Finish Hand rubbed satin or gloss lacquer.